Preparing the shoulders for a day of going overhead is vital. I have used many different methods over the years to unlock and activate the shoulder and T-spine area for maximum flexibility and strength. One way that I have adopted to couple 'stability' into the mix is with the use of a Turkish get up. During the warm up it will help develop the focus necessary to engage for a period of time and also help your CNS become acquainted with the stress involved. Follow along with the TGU complex for strong shoulders and a focused mind.
Note that for the HSPU test today you can scale the difficulty to your own ability for a baseline. For instance, if you are just learning the HSPU I would scale all the way back to seated DB press and up to Box HSPU.
5X TGU complex L, 5X TGU Complex R
1) Arm Extension over head/ rolling to stomach for Should girdle stretch,chest stretch
2) 2X SIT up
3) Roll To Hand
4) Bridge Up and Hold :03
5) Swing Leg Through to lunge Position
6) 2X KB Press
7) Come to standing, once there, preform 1 KB CLean and Press
8) Windmill Stretch reaching to foot with free hand.
9) Come down smooth, hitting all the positions, dont rush!!
5 Sets of 1 Power Clean + Split Jerk @ 75%
Rest 1:00 betwen
Gymnastic Skill Test:
1) Max Rep Strict Deficit (4"/2") HSPU
2) Max Rep Kipping Deficit HSPU
3) Max Rep Strict HSPU
Rest 3 Minutes Between Attempts.
15 Overhead Squats 135/95
30 GHD Sit Up
45 KB SWing 53/35