There is a constant search for the holy grail in optimal nutrition. Believe me... Im seeking it!
The truth is that the nutrient profile, nutrient density and how each item was raised has so much to do with its effectiveness on your health and it 'full spectrum' list of benefits. But fear not my friends, there are amazing foods out there and I am going to give you 5 that you should definitely be eating.
1) Salmon. About a month ago I went so far as to say that if you ate nothing else for the rest of your life, Salmon should be that one thing. The reason is that we as human beings NEED everything that the salmon has to offer. From Fat to Vitamins, Salmon delivers life sustaining nutrients. As always when you are sourcing your Salmon or other proteins, go Organic, sustainable, wild-caught, and in Salmons case... cold water caught.
2) Acai. This fruit gives us way more than a daily dose of carbohydrates and vitamin C. Acai doses us with a Hughes's source of fiber and iron... can you believe it... How about Calcium?? Can you believe that? Just like blueberries, the dark color is indicative of its high anti-oxidant potential. Acai is considered a superfood because it not only helps keep the Gut healthy and improves digression; even deeper into the blood stream Acai clears out bad cholesterol from the body and helps rebuild cells!
3) Sweet Potato. What's not to like, right?? This starchy food acts nothing like some other Potatos that it is likened with. Sweet potatoes are natural sweet when cooked but do not effect your insulin levels. The Sweet Potato Nutrient profile begins with a ton of fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium and Calcium. You should be into this as an athlete for its dense carbohydrate as well as the nutrients. There is really no drawback to having them every day in my opinion.
4) Kale Holds a special place in my heart. Maybe its not your favorite leafy green but many in the medical world believe it is sent from Heaven to keep you healthy. Kale is also very trendy right now so beware of its GMO cousins. Just like many other leafy greens that offer very similar nutrients like spinich, collard greens, mustard greens, etc.; you need to buy organic and NON-GMO!
5) Almonds. Ready for magnesium, potassium, calcium, Vitamin A and a ton of healthy Fat??? Well you should be. Almonds are probably the hottest superfood on the market. I come from the almond growing capital of the world and I will tell you that the industry has planned it that way. Even if you don't like the nut you can buy the milk, oil, pulp, flour... whatever. Obviously the 'superness' of the food is in its original form that is chalked full of fiber and is a great choice for snacking in moderation.
Superfood lists vary depending on who you talk to. This is just mine. Believe me when I tell you that in today's age of food labeling, Im sure there are people out there that say the Mc Donald's BIG MAC is a superfood. The industry has really loose limits on how things are classified. But if you look a the similarities and benefits of the foods I have listed, you will see a trend in nutrient density and fiber rich.
So run over to your grocerie list and pencil these things in...
3 mins of work @ each
1 Min Min Rest/ rotation
Box Jump Overs 24/20
Push Press 75/55
*Cristin and I wrote this workout in 2011. It holds a special place in our hearts. Mahalo to all of you who have done it and remember doing it at GTCF!!