Bisphenol A (BPA) is found in a host of plastic and canned products that you eat and it can destroy your health and performance. Today, it is almost impossible to purchase a food or drink product without it being wrapped in some sort of plastic product. I have 4 simple suggestions on how you can eliminate BPA poisoning from your life.
BPA acts on the endocrine (hormone) system of the body. Your hormones control everything from your likelihood of getting cancer to how much you will be able to clean and jerk. Simply, all actions are a result of hormones acting on the muscle systems to create kinetic activity, or recovery. If you look on the bottom of your water bottle, food container or soup can you will see the recycling triangle and a number designation inside of it. Certain colored products have certain numbers, but what is important is what these numbers mean.
If you see the #7 inside the triangle, you are threatening yourself with BPA toxicity. But dont always take the manufacturers word for it. Since most products contain some form of BPA, here are some key ways to keep it from hurting your health.
1) Buy Glass containers. Instead of purchasing plastic baggies, or plastic containers for storage, you should buy stainless steel, ceramic, or glass containers to store and heat food in.
2) Non-Stick pans =BPA. If you are out buying housewares, no matter how good the non-stick pan may look, you should go for the cast iron or steel skillets. Since BPA is measured in the body as 'parts per milliion', each time you cook with non-stick pans and a little wears off into your food, that can have a profound effect on your overall health. Remember that disease is cumulative.
3) Change out your water bottle. Hydro Flasks are super popular right now and it is for good reason. All those shaker bottles that you have in your cupboard contain some level of BPA. Many plastic shakers have big stickers on them "BPA free" but over the long term, you will have colder and healthier water if you switch to metal.
4) Stay away from canned foods. Most of you eat a predominantly fresh food diet or perhaps some frozen veggies no and again. This concern should be minor but be aware that any time you opt for sauces, veggies and even tuna from the can you are risking exposure to BPA.
BPA does crazy things to all manner of endocrine organs in your body. BPA is the #1 estrogen stimulator and #3 cancer causing agent in our environment today. While we don't live in a vacuum and are subject to our greater environments, there is not perfect elimination. But as we strive to make 2017 the most amazing healthy year yet, this is another way we can do so. Stay conscious my friends and stay away from plastic!
***This is week 1 Of the CrossFit Games Opens. As we approach the Opens please note that my programming may get more dynamic as the workouts are announced and we begin to cross certain movements off the list. As a general rule, I am going to load the front end of the week with work capacity and specific strength tasks and then back off to either skill drills or partner workouts on Thursdays. Programming for Friday's will be the opens workout and I will send out specific mobility/warm ups for each of those workouts.
10 Medicine Ball Single Leg Up and Overs
10 Jumping Pull Ups
10 Contra Lateral Deadbug
Specific Mob For Hamstrings;
-Lateral Cossack Lunge
-Figure 4 Hamstring/Piriformis stretch
Deadlift Warm Up:
6X3 Building to Workout Weight
Bar Muscle Up Prep:
1) Basic Kip Swings (Hollow + arch. Build to as large of a kip as you can. Highest would be arms parallel to the ground.)
2) Low-Bar Dips (set barbells in racks at bottom of sternum height and secure with bands. Perform these from bottom of a Straight-Bar Dip position, shoulders in front of the bar.)
3) Chest-to-Bar/Ribs-to-Bar/Hips-to-Bar Kipping Pull-Ups (At the apex of your swing, in the hollow position, pull your elbows down and back to bring your hips to the bar.)
4) Bar Muscle-Up Attempts (If you were able to perform a few Dips and a few Hips-to-Bar Pull-Ups, then try Bar Muscle-Ups on a high bar. Once your hips are to the bar, pull your shoulders forward and let your feet fall behind you to transition. If it's not happening, then try a few on a low bar with a jump, or go back through the progressions.)
***scale Deadlift weight to challenging weight for athlete
*** Scale Bar Muscle Up to chest to bar pulls/ and bar dip negatives.
:90 of L hang on bar
50 Toes to bar
***Week 2 of Barbell Single Leg Step Up
8 Minute Quality AMRAP
8X Leg Swing on Each Leg
8X Backward Walking Lunges
8X Planked Push Ups (from elbow plank up to full plank is one rep)
20X Double Unders
20X Squat Therapy
3X 8-12 Reps per leg
Single Leg Barbell Step ups @ 25-29% of backsquat
-ensure hip is lower than knee when stepping on box, bar is held in front rack. Working leg does all the lifting, no bounce from standing leg.
Super Set Each Step up set with;
:30 Side Plank on each side
35 Double Unders
20 Wall Ball Shots
12X @ each Exercise
Banded Hip Activation
Banded Pass Thrus
Banded Around the world Trunk Rotations
Banded Good Mornings
Barbell Warm Up:
7X @ Each
-muscle clean +3 Press
-tempo front squat +3 push Press
-Hang Power Clean+ 3 back Squat
-High hang Pull Under+ 3 Push Press
-Hang Power Clean
-Spend 8 Minutes Warming up and working up to workout weight.
15 Minute AMRAP
5 hang Power Clean 115/75
5 Front Squat
5 Push press
5 back Squat
Handstand Push Up Negatives
:20 @ Each
Chest Stretch Arm Throws
Arm Haulers ** Lying in superman hold, take arms from in front of you, back to pockets, swimming motion
Burpee Tuck Jumps
Standing Toe Touch L
Standing Toe Touch R
Divebomber Push Ups
-take 3-4 minutes to work box jump cycling and movement prep.
25 Minute AMRAP
P1- 200m Run/ Row
P2- 8 Burpee Box Jump/ 100m KB Farmer Carry/ Overhead Hold**
**One KB is held at side and the other is held overhead. Switch holds at 50m Mark.
-Once both partners complete required work, they switch.
50 Knees To Elbow
50 Hip Touches